HIP’s Food Pantry
HIP will be distributing bags of surplus food free to families of children with SEND and people in the local community who may be experiencing food poverty.
An optional minimum donation of £2 for those who can would be put to good use elsewhere.
Where: 1 Alpine Rd E9
HIP Health and Wellness
Get involved with HIP and become part of an informed and supported community of parents/carers.
Parents will receive weekly sessions with a qualified holistic therapist and trainer offering guided exercises to help
reduce mental overload that can sometimes be associated with caring responsibilities. :
- guided meditations
- practical tools, and
- exercises to develop gratitude and compassion.
- Support to develop new strategies, daily routines, and good self-care, helping to reduce mental overload that can sometimes be associated with caring responsibilities.
Date: Starting on Monday 29th March
Register in advance here for the HIP Health and Wellness sessions.
After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the meeting.
Autism Parent Coffee mornings
Autism Parent Coffee are a facilitated session for parents with children with autism to meet professionals and share ideas.
These were previously face to face but have moved online due to the social distancing requirements.
There are limited places for these sessions and you must contact the service to book a place.
There are 2 therapists from different services you can book to discuss ideas and concerns with..
Talk to an Occupational Therapist for ideas on independence and sensory issues.
When? Fourth Wednesday of Every Month
Time: 10-15am – 11:15am
Talk to a Clinical Psychologist for ideas on supporting emotions and behaviour
When? Fourth Wednesday of Every Month
Time: 11.30am -12:30pm
How can I book a place for one or both of these options?
There are limited places for these sessions.
Please book your place through the Eventbrite links which will be made accessible to parents who registered their interest.
Your child must already be known to Hackney Ark for you to be eligible to attend these sessions.
To register your interest contact the service with the name of your child or young person.
Phone: 0207 014 7071
Educational Psychology Parent Advice Sessions
Educational Psychologists (also called EPs or Ed Psychs) have professional qualifications in psychology and educational psychology.
This is the study of how children develop, learn and behave. Educational Psychologists work collaboratively with school staff, parents and children themselves
to help ensure that young people with additional educational needs who are having difficulties at school receive the right sort of help.
The Parent Advice Sessions are run independently of the Educational Psychology Service work in schools.
They are open to:
- all children and families living in Hackney including those children not yet in school
- children who are out of school
- children who live in Hackney and attend school in other boroughs
What happens during the session?
This is an opportunity for parents and carers to have a discussion about concerns that they may have about their children or young person.
If you would like support and advice, we are offering an opportunity for you to talk about your child/children with an educational psychologist for up to 30 minutes on our phone line.
This service runs on Wednesdays between 1:00 and 3:00 pm and during term time.
We can help by talking through your concerns about your child, their development, any special educational needs that you may be aware of or
any concerns you may have about their home or school experience.
We can give you advice about:
- behaviour at home or school
- learning at home or school
- your child’s special educational needs
- anxiety, wellbeing and mental health
How can I book?
Contact the service to discuss the availability of appointments.
Phone: 020 8820 7519
Hackney SENDIAGS Online Drop-in Sessions
Hackney SEND Information, Advice and Guidance Service (SENDIAGS) is an arm’s length service providing impartial and confidential
information, advice and support to parents and carers’ of children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disabilities (SEND) and young people
and children with SEND. Hackney SENDIAGS have moved their drop-in advice sessions online starting from Tuesday 9th March 2021.
Do you need help to:
- prepare for a school meeting in order to have an effective say in any discussions
- know what questions to ask when accessing a virtual tour of a school
- make sure that your child’s needs are being met at school, college or nursery
- think about your contribution to an assessment
- go through an EHC needs assessment request
- go through a draft EHC Plan
- Prepare for an Annual Review meeting and make sure your views are included
When: Every Tuesday from 2Oth April to 27th July 2021
Time: 10am – 2pm
If the answer is yes to any of the above book on to one of our 20 minutes’ drop-in appointments
You can discuss your situation and receive information, advice and support from one of our trained advisers.
For any more information please contact us.
Phone: 07500 066 513
This FREE course is for parents and carers of children with special needs and disabilities (SEND).
Attending the course will help you to support your child’s SEND learning and development at home.
What will you learn on the course?
On this course you will be:
* learning to support your child in their learning activities, including homework
* gaining insights into how children learn
* developing knowledge and skills to support learning activities
* improving your understanding of how behaviour can impact learning
* building your confidence and ability as a parent and carer by reflecting on your own experiences and those of others
How will the course be delivered?
This five-week course is delivered remotely twice a week (Tuesdays and Wednesdays) on Zoom.The course is led by an experienced SEND specialist teacher, Shirley Tivey.
How can you apply for this course?
Sign up to attend this course or make further enquiries by sending you phone number, email and expression of interest to: email@example.com